Thursday, June 28, 2012

2012 UMS Band Interviews #1

 Click the link below for complete info about venues, performers, and times for 2012's UMS!
The UMS July 19th-22nd South Broadway

Patrick Dethlefs

Where and when are you playing at the UMS?
Saturday July 21st 7pm Irish Rover w/ Full Band

How long has your band been together?
I have been playing music since I was 12 and have been playing music with friends as much as I can, but seriously I have probably been playing for 4 years.

What was your band's first live show/ performance and what was memorable about it?
I played a few shows when I was younger in middle school but I remember playing a song with my friend in high school, in front of the whole school and being so nervous haha.

What was the first album you purchased?
Not really sure, maybe Queen's Greatest Hits cassette, I really loved the movie The Mighty Ducks.

What album was your most recent purchase?
my last Twist & Shout purchase was the new Tallest Man on Earth record.

Do you have any advice for new bands?
It's weird to think of me giving advice but keep trying to progress and enjoy what your doing.

Besides your own band- who do you want to see at the UMS?
Maybe there are a few I can't mention but some of the folks I'm excited to see are, Eye & the Arrow, Esme Patterson, Fairchildren, Rachael Pollard.

Best past UMS experience?
Well last year was my first year playing and I played a solo set which went really well and the crowd was great!

Do you have any tips for festival goers?
Do your best to make it my set! ha and stay hydrated.

What's the best food people can find on Broadway during the festival?
Sweet Action Ice Cream

Who is your all time favorite Denver band?
It's hard to just pick one! But I really enjoy Nathaniel Rateliff

If you were behind the counter at Twist and Shout, what three albums would you recommend to our customers?
Ray LaMontagne- God Willin & the Creek Don't Rise, Fleet Foxes- Helplessness Blues, Feist- Metals.

Is there anything we forgot to ask you about the UMS that you think people need to know?
Hmm not sure, maybe I will mention that I just came out with a new album Fall & Rise


Lords Of Fuzz

Where and when are you playing at the UMS?
Thu 7/19 11:00 pm  at the Denver Wheel Club 404

How long has your band been together?
6 years

What was your band's first live show/ performance and what was memorable about it?
cricket on the hill. i think it was very painful for our friends to watch.

What was the first album you purchased?
Led Zeppelin 2

What album was your most recent purchase?
The Black Keys - El Camino

Do you have any advice for new bands?
keep it fun

Besides your own band- who do you want to see at the UMS?
black moth super rainbow, git some, zebroids, 

Best past UMS experience?
in '10 there was a very large and extremely drunk woman dancing right
in front of oscar the whole set. in between songs she would scream 'you
want some of this?!?!?' she fell down twice and knocked the mics over before
the bouncers got her out of there.

Do you have any tips for festival goers?
don't wear a bra

What's the best food people can find on Broadway during the festival?
Sputnik

Who is your all time favorite Denver band?
Fucking Orange

If you were behind the counter at Twist and Shout, what three albums would you recommend to our customers?
The Clash - London Calling, Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R, Lords of Fuzz - Broken Bottles and Knives (due out in july)



A Shoreline Dream


How long has your band been together?
We've been at it since 2005. So crazy to think it's been that many years already. Seems like we just started dreaming.

What was your band's first live show/ performance and what was memorable about it?
Our first show was at the Hi-Dive back in 2006. It was amazing to have such a great crowd for our first gig. The band was an experiment of sound we were obsessed with, so to share it with so many people was outstanding in all ways.

What was the first album you purchased?
Ryan: Iron Maiden was the first, The self titled debut. The cover art lured me in as scary stuff was always a winner in my book.

Lauren: I think it was a New Order cassette tape from Black & Read...I remember getting into New Order, and then discovering Joy Division as a teenager. Peter Hook was my inspiration to start playing bass.

Erik: Purchased was Van Halen's 1984 - because I had already stolen the self-titled from a family member.

What album was your most recent purchase?
Ryan: I just picked up the new Carina Round, titled Tigermending. We had the chance to see her in L.A. back when we played out there with Pop Levi and I told her I loved her in person, which was odd now that I think back on it. She is simply outstanding, and this new disc is one of her best.

Lauren: I literally just bought the newest Washed Out album when I got this email. I'm about to go on a beach vacation and wanted to hear something spacious, like a musical landscape.

Erik: The new Silversun Pickups. It is so good that it is either playing in my car, on my phone or in my office at any moment. Cannot get enough of it.

Do you have any advice for new bands?
Ryan: Don't burn yourselves out and have fun no matter what. If you do what you love, everyone will gravitate to it at some point...

Erik: Have a passion for what you are doing, enjoy it and connect with other musicians.

Besides your own band- who do you want to see at the UMS?
All of them!

Best past UMS experience?
We did a very intimate acoustic show a few years back for Reverb which was so different from what you'd expect of our sound. It was quite a unique gig. One which we have yet to do again... though we may go for it again this go around.

Do you have any tips for festival goers?
Don't get overwhelmed, and try to give bands more than 5 minutes before moving on. Sometimes you miss the best stuff by running around all crazy. Bands during festivals need one or two songs to get super warmed up ;)

What's the best food people can find on Broadway during the festival?
Lauren: I can never pass up the cinnamon flavored ice cream at Sweet Action. I'm giving everyone permission to eat ice cream for dinner.
Ryan: I love SoBo, mostly cause my family is part Czech!
Erik: Moe's because I love bbq.

Who is your all time favorite Denver band?
Ryan: Bright Channel by far...
Erik: Tie between Overcasters/Fell/Panal s.a. de c.v
Lauren: That's tough because Denver's so diverse...Lately I've been listening to Volplane the most during my morning commute. As for bands currently playing, Loose Charm and Eyes & Ears are always good.

If you were behind the counter at Twist and Shout, what three albums would you recommend to our customers?
Ryan: 1. Engineers - In Praise of More, 2. Dead Can Dance - Self Titled, 3. Sneaker Pimps - Splinter
Erik: 1. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream, 2. Explosions in the Sky - How Strange, Innocence, Godspeed You! Black Emporer - F? A? ?
Lauren: 1. Land of Talk - Cloak and Cipher, 2. Neko Case - Canadian Amp, The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns, Fifteen Winters

Is there anything we forgot to ask you about the UMS that you think people need to know?
We have a new series of EP's that we are in the process of releasing. We call it the "333" series as it's 3 EP's released over the course of three months, each with three songs each. Names of the EP's, now available digitally and coming as a physical boxset soon are as follows: "three", "3" & "III". We're also super proud and happy to announce a new member of the band.... Lauren Shugrue Maske on Bass!



Patrick Brown


Where and when are you playing at the UMS?
Sunday July 22nd, 6-9PM at the Sputnik, right after DJ Alf.

Do you have your cd for sale at Twist and Shout?
No, I don’t make music that I release on CDs, but if you ask nicely I might make a mixtape of my set for you.

How long has your band been together?
Not a band, but I've played music out in public from time to time since 1996 or so.

What was the first album you purchased?
I always say that it was Chic’s C’est Chic but I’m not sure that’s strictly true. I'm sure I made my parents get me some children's albums before that.

What album was your most recent purchase?
Francis Bebey African Electronic Music 1975-1982. Crazy lo-fi African music with lots of synth, drum machine, and cheap keyboards. I will definitely be playing some of this in my set.

Besides your own band- who do you want to see at the UMS?
Mostly I just want to soak in the vibe of the whole thing, because the total experience is really what the UMS is about, not any individual 45 minute set. That said, I will not miss Shabazz Palaces, Imperial Teen, or Theesatisfaction, and I will probably see about 20 other acts in the process – Wymond Miles, Mancub, Sole, o0o00, Esme Patterson, Ginger Perry… a bunch of others too. I’m gonna play it by ear and see as much as I can.

Best past UMS experience?
I’ve loved it both times I’ve gone, pretty much all the time. Friends, music, food, fun, drinks for four days solid. What could be bad about that except that I have to work on three of those days as well and don’t have a day to recover afterward?

Do you have any tips for festival goers?
Drink water - and not just in the form of ice in your drinks. Catch as many bands that you don’t already know as you can. Don’t miss Shabazz Palaces. Eat at Socorro’s Street Tacos on East Bayaud. Smile and dance a lot. Hula hoop if the opportunity arises. Support all the businesses along that strip. Make friends. Have fun.

What's the best food people can find on Broadway during the festival?
Socorro’s, obviously. Sugar Bakeshop at 3rd & Broadway for coffee and sweets. Senor Burritos. And bear in mind that El Diablo’s walkup window stays open really late. And then there will be the food trucks…

If you were behind the counter at Twist and Shout, what three albums would you recommend to our customers?
Oddly enough, I am behind the counter at Twist and I recommend these at this moment (and will have three totally different ones ready in another five minutes): Singer/songwriter Bhi Bhiman’s awesome album Bhiman, African experimental artist Bola’s first U.S. release Volume 7 (on the Awesome Tapes From Africa label), and jazz composer Henry Threadgill’s Tomorrow Sunny / The Revelry, Spp (I have no idea what the title means, so don’t ask, but the music’s great so who cares?)

No comments: