Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Twist & Shout at UMS!: Part One

John Parsell:


     Last year I didn’t really get it together to participate that much in The UMS, but this year I’m excited about the line-up and ready to experience the unique dynamic of this festival. After work Friday evening, I’m looking forward to seeing Frankie Cosmos on the main stage. We’ve played their recent release, Vessel, in the store a few times and I’m excited to hear how those songs sound live. Right after that also on the main stage, I plan on catching Digable Planets. This will be my first time to see these legends of 90s hip-hop, although I watched Shabazz Palaces (Ishmael Butler’s contemporary project) open for Black Star in 2011. I’ll be working a closing shift on Saturday, but I might rally and get it together to see Green Druid play at the Hi-Dive around 10:00 pm. Although I’ll be working during these sets, I’ve been recommending catching Kadhja Bonet and Deerhunter to my friends. 
     I’ve got the day off on Sunday so you’ll definitely find me in the vicinity of Broadway checking out all things UMS. A couple of years ago, White Denim came through town and delivered a highly enjoyable in-store performance so I’m curious to hear what they sound like these days. I can’t say that all of my excitement for this year’s UMS comes from the fact that Superchunk will be playing the main stage, but that accounts for at least eighty percent of my enthusiasm for this year’s festival. I first saw Superchunk in 1995 at the age of eighteen and Sunday’s set will be the tenth time I’ve seen them. I love this band and I can’t wait to hear them play songs from their excellent new album, What a Time to Be Alive! Hopefully that performance will grant me unlimited energy and I’ll be up for checking out my friends Specific Ocean play a midnight set at The Hornet.



Patrick Brown:


     Last year I missed going to the UMS because I had other obligations, so I’m really happy to see that it’s back under new ownership and seems to be in exactly the same spirit as previous years. I’ve always gone to the festival with a pretty open schedule, marking a handful of acts I need to go see (to wit: Superchunk, Digable Planets, Deerhunter), and a bunch of friends’ acts in many genres that I am gonna do my best to make it to (namely: One Flew West, There’s An Ape For That, Yasi, Porlolo, Roger Green, Oko Tygra, It’s Just Bugs, Green Druid, Kyle Emerson, Specific Ocean), and then keeping the rest of my time open – and ears open – to just go with the flow. I listen for what people are recommending to me; I listen to the sounds coming out of the venues; I listen for what bands are getting a buzz, and I go check out anything that sounds appealing. There’s such a bounty of great stuff at the festival every year that I always feel like I’ve missed at least four dozen bands I would’ve enjoyed – but maybe I’ll catch them next year! And maybe I’ll see you there this weekend! Stay hydrated out there folks.



Linden Jackson:


     For me, the UMS is a particularly special time of the year not just because I get to go out and see 20+ of my favorite Denver bands at one festival, but also because it’s an amazing opportunity for musicians and people in the neighborhood to connect with each other on a level that isn't really possible with other festivals. It doesn't get much cooler than seeing an entire chunk of the city completely shut down and allow music to reign supreme, converting the most diverse and seemingly unaccommodating businesses into totally kick ass venues. You might see someone stage diving in your favorite book store or shotgunning a beer at the spot you usually go for coffee, but everyone rolls with it and that's the magic of the UMS. My band One Flew West will be playing Illegal Pete's on Friday the 27th at 8pm!



Brian Wyatt:


     I accidentally said I would be happy to go to U.M.S. because initially I thought it stood for Universal Mallomar Society. It turned out OK though, it’s more bands than fingers on hands. Mine is playing Sunday on the Imagination Stage at 6:20. Come say hi and I’ll give you some of my Mallomars.



Patrick ‘Wavvy’ Richardson:


     For me, UMS weekend is the sweatiest weekend of the whole damn year. My top priority is staying hydrated. If I can manage that, I’m gonna consider it a successful weekend. Here’s a day by day breakdown of where you can find me seeing the acts I’m most excited about:
            Friday: - Bouxku Jones @ Blue Ice Lounge 6PM. Bouxku is a local rapper originally from New Orleans. His Bayou roots shine through in his energetic, thoughtful brand of hip-hop. I should still be pretty hydrated at this point.
                        - Futurebabes @ Gary Lee’s Motor Club 7PM. Futurebabes is a solo synthpop artist hailing from Greeley, CO. For fans of Depeche Mode and Joy Division. The swirling synth arpeggios and catchy vocal melodies will have your feet tappin’ and your head swirlin’. I’ll probably be a lil’ sweaty at this point.
                        - Digable Planets – Hip-hop legends, duh!
            Saturday: Okay, day 2 is the dangerous day. Things start out early and the sun is out. Wear a hat and comfy shoes (I sound like a dad).
                        - The Velveteers @ Sesh Stage 2:20PM. This brother/sister rock duo is the perfect way to start your Saturday. The Velveteers are a fast-rising Denver act not to be missed.
                        - Slow Caves @ 3 Kings 3PM. You live in Colorado and you haven’t seen Slow Caves yet? One of my favorite local bands – I’m gonna be in full-on, soaked-shirt, sweaty-boy mode at this time – please keep an eye on me in case my legs cramp up. I might need you.
                        - Its Just Bugs @ 3 Kings 8PM. This is my band. Come see us, come see how incredibly sweaty I’ll be. Aggressive, full-band hip-hop.
            Sunday: If I survive and make it to Sunday. You can find me here, and Twist & Shout in the cool, cool air conditioning. But that shouldn’t deter you from checking out the rest of the festival. I just know I’ll need a day of recovery, because taking care of yourself is punk rock.
Happy UMS – Love, Wavvy



Anna Bero:


     This will be my first UMS experience and I'm so stoked to be able to go! It's a great opportunity to see some of my co-workers perform. Y'all need to go see It's Just Bugs, One Flew West, Savage Blush, Green Druid, and of course - Matt Cobos (I mean, come one, have you seen that dudes mustache?)
     Sadly, I'll be holding down the fort at good ole Twist & Shout on Friday night so I won't be able to see Boss Eagle, that just means every one of y'all need to go see him if you have the chance. I'm also excited to see Superchunk, mostly just to see my co-worker John Parsell see them - it will be his 10th time seeing the band.
     The last and possibly the raddest thing aboust UMS is just being able to wander around and discover new music.

See y'all there!



Matt Cobos:


     UMS is finally here! It is THE Colorado music and arts fest to go to, and boy am I ready to rage. This year is stacked with not only great music, but great comedy, too! For the first time, UMS decided to make a concerted effort to make comedy an important part of the festival by partnering with the High Plains Comedy Festival to bring in some of the best comics from around the country to a dedicated comedy main stage. Drennon Davis, Tom Thakkar, Kate Willett, Ramon Rivas II, Brandy Posey, and Carmen Morales will all be here slinging chuckles alongside some of Denver's best local comedians. One of those local performers is your favorite little record store clerk and writer, ME! I'll be performing at 6 pm Friday on the comedy main stage outside of Illegal Pete's Broadway! Come party!
     As for music acts, we all know that's the bread and butter of UMS and this year is no exception. The band I'm most excited for is psych-garage band Night Beats. Their last 2 albums were fantastic and I don't expect any less from their live performance. Other great national acts I'm stoked for are Holy Wave, White Denim, and Alvvays. All have some element of psych/garage/party, which is what I can't get enough of.
     Per usual, there are too many awesome local bands for me to list them all, but I'll name some of my favorites that I never miss. The Savage Blush (psych), Bud Bronson and the Goodtimers (party-garage), Colfax Speed Queen (garage-rage), Dirty Few (party garage-punk), Ned Garthe Explosion (party-garage), Cheap Perfume (punk), Green Druid (stoner metal), Grayson County Burn Ban (country), Its Just Bugs (aggressive, full band hip hop), and Vic N The Narwhals (garage rock). Every one of those bands is worth checking out if you like to rock n party.
     Holy crap. This is going to rule. I'm going to start hydrating right now, and I'll see you party people on Broadway!

And at my show on Friday!


No comments: