Monday, August 6, 2018

Twist & Shout at UMS!: Part Two


 

  John P:
After catching the second half of Red Baraat’s energetic, propulsive (non-UMS) free show at the Clyfford Still museum and grabbing a bite to eat Friday evening, I picked up my wristband and made my way to The UMS mainstage. Unfortunately, I missed Frankie Cosmos, but I was able to enjoy almost all of Digable Planets’ expansive, good-natured set. All three M.C.s appeared to be in great spirits and it was cool to see that they all still share the singular chemistry that set them apart in the 90s. I wasn’t expecting Digable Planets to tour with such an incredible backing band and I was impressed throughout the night with how these musicians fleshed out the group’s signature sound. In short, it was a great show for the first night’s headlining act and it set an excellent tone for the festival’s first outing under new management.
After taking a break on Saturday, I biked over to South Broadway on Sunday afternoon and had a great time running into group after group of friends as I made my way to the Sesh Stage for White Denim. I arrived there just as the band was entering their final stretch of the show and I was glad I got a chance to see these guys again as they bashed out their upbeat, quirky take on indie rock. I joined Pat Brown as he walked over to the Imagination Stage to see Night Beats and I’m happy I went with him to check out the venue. I wasn’t able to stay for the band, but I really liked exploring the interactive, immersive installations populating a high end mechanic’s garage and parking lot. The space compared very favorably to the kinds of designs and layouts I’ve gotten to know attending the Treefort Music Fest in Boise, Idaho for the last two years.
Following a pause to snack and cool down for a bit, I headed straight for the mainstage and prepared myself to see Superchunk for the tenth time. All day, I watched weather reports that vaguely threatened severe thunderstorms exactly at the time of Superchunk’s set, so I was ready to deal with delays or disappointments, but luckily the weather held. The band took to the stage and launched right into “Hyper Enough” from their 1995 album, Here’s Where the Strings Come In, and established the mood for a lively, blistering set that included material from almost all of their eleven studio albums. Understandably, they focused on songs from their most recent and notably political album, What a Time to Be Alive. It was awesome to hear these new songs performed live as well as hear lead singer Mac McCaughan encourage the audience to pay attention and vote this fall. Peter Hughes from Merge label-mates The Mountain Goats subbed as bass player for Laura Balance, who’s still in the band but no longer tours. Other than that personnel change and a brief technical issue when the sound went out on the left side of the stage for a song and a half, it was every bit a Superchunk show on par with all the times I’ve seen them in the last twenty-three years. It was wonderful to hear mainstays like “Driveway to Driveway” and “Detroit Has a Skyline Too” again, but I was delighted that they played “Cursed Mirror,” a deep cut from their underrated 1999 album, Come Pick Me Up. By the time Superchunk played their last song, I couldn’t have been happier to be surrounded by my friends as they played their iconic indie-rock anthem, “Slack Motherfucker,” and we all shouted along with the chorus!
Following such an exciting, satisfying show, I lingered in the mainstage area talking with friends about the performance, but ended up staying for Alvvays’ entire headlining set. I knew next to nothing before the show and I was pleasantly surprised by their brand of infectious jangle pop. The lead singer has a great voice and I enjoyed her natural, self-effacing stage presence. The band played with a slow-building energy and democratic spirit that left a very favorable impression on me. As I walked out of the mainstage area and onto South Broadway at the end of the show, I felt very fortunate to have been able to attend such a successful and positive music festival right in the heart of the streets of Denver. I’m very happy that The UMS is alive and kicking once again.     



Linden:
Now that the UMS is under new management after being run by the Denver Post for so many years, I was very curious to see how the event would go and I’m happy to say that this was one of the best years that I have ever been a part of it! Everything was well-organized and promoted, and as an artist I felt very well taken care of. Among the hundreds of bands that played, some of my favorites included Slow Caves, Overslept, Its Just Bugs, Ivory Circle, The Savage Blush, and way too many more to list. Also, thanks so much to everyone who came out to watch One Flew West's set! It was a great show to come back to after being off for a month!



Anna:
            This UMS was my first time and it was pretty fuckin’ rad! The stages were so cool, each had their own theme. I got my face rocked off by Its Just Bugs, Hot 8 Brass Band, Green Druid, Holy Wave, Night Beats, The Savage Blush, Superchunk, Alvvays, and Serpentfoot! I loved getting to see the cool people I work with play awesome music. I also was not disappointed seeing John Parsell see Superchunk! He let out a few very loud and excited “Whoo”s; those made my soul happy! My favorite band I didn’t know I was going to see/didn’t know about was Serpentfoot – damn that was awesome! As long as I live here I will go to the UMS!



Jonathan:
This year was my very first UMS experience. I’m not entirely sure why I didn’t go to UMS last year. I’d like to be able to say I was doing something far more important, but the truth is that I was probably at home watching The O.C. on Hulu and being lame. Regardless, I’m really glad that I went this year. Even though I was only able to make it for one full day, I saw some truly awesome shows and hung out with some truly awesome folks. A highlight was Superchunk, of course. I’ve been a fan of that band since I was a pre-teen and they still rock hard. Another was Casey James Prestwood & the Burning Angels, who I discovered by accident a few weeks ago and are now one of my absolute favorite locals. But I was also excited to finally see my fellow Twist-er Brian do his thing in The Savage Blush. Also saw great sets by Pale Sun, the Night Beats and a partial set by Alvvays. All in all, a great day of music, local and otherwise. I’m excited to be a part of this weekend in the years to come.



Diamond:
            This was my first year attending UMS and it was probably the best showcase experience I have had. I was most excited to see Digable Planets. I have been an active listener for a very long time and had a general idea of what most of their shows consisted of. Seeing them in person was a very VERY unifying experience and just as great as everyone had said it was BUT! I was FAR more impressed and inspired by Frankie Cosmos who had played right before Digable Planets. Frankie Cosmos’ set was really f***ing beautiful and I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to see them and experience the simplicity of their sound and appearance/performance. Until UMS, I have not exclusively listened to Frankie Cosmos, but for the past week I have been listening to their 2016 album Next Thing on repeat. Overall, UMS was 10/10 and I really hope I get this opportunity next year!



Patrick B:
            I skipped UMS last year because life works that way, stuff came up, and it just didn’t work out. And I hear people say they had issues with the setup last year and I was like “Whew!” and not so worried that I’d missed out on the usual fun of the festival, but I was also concerned when I heard that new folks were taking over the festival – would they understand what had made it special in the past? Would they continue down what seemed to be the wrong road taken last year? Turns out I needn’t have worried, because Two Parts, the organization that took it over, has done a superb job not only keeping the flavor of Denver’s best music festival, but also stepped up the game a bit in a few key areas.
            Music was great as always – kept the vibe of the biggest bands on the festival still being groups that some of my friends say “Who?” about when I mention them; plus the plethora of local music of all varieties – my only wish about the music is that I could be in more than one place at the same time and that I could still keep myself staying up and going three days in a row until after midnight on days that I work so I could’ve seen The Savage Blush and Specific Ocean, one of whom played up against one of those big bands at the festival and one of whom played at midnight on Sunday when I was long asleep.
            Setup was great across the board. Alameda and 6th Ave. are good borders that shouldn’t be gone past for this festival so it’s nice to see it back within them. The addition of the Sesh Stage and (especially) the Imagination Stage, with cool spaces, shade, seating, and water coolers were very welcome - and whoever thought up the idea of running a path through the auto dealership to an enclosed space in the alley deserves a special prize. Only two down points for me were that there was no central set of bike parking – though the place that has been used in the past is now fenced in an presumably won’t be there in the future – and that one of my favorite places to eat – Socorro’s Street Tacos – had their last day open during the festival (insert frowny face here).
But the entire experience reminded me again just what a great thing we have here in the UMS, how a diverse music scene of rock, hip-hop, electronic music, jazz, country, folk, and more can all converge on South Broadway for a weekend and still feel like it’s a unified festival with one idea driving it. And did I mention all the friends? Within five minutes of arrival I ran into about a dozen folks I knew, and that, too, is a huge part of what makes the weekend special. If you missed it this year, look forward to next year’s and be ready to pounce when tickets go on sale!



Patrick “Wavvy” R:
            Wow, another UMS has come and gone; I wouldn’t believe it even happened if I wasn’t still hung over from the three day party. It flew by. I survived, I didn’t get dehydrated or cramp up, and here are my takeaways from the festivities:
            Digable Planets: Very good.
            Alvvays: Very good
            Inflatable beach balls: Very bad (ed: Both Patricks agree wholeheartedly on this point)
            And my favorite act of the entire UMS? Easy – Its Just Bugs. My band. Wowee we were so good. I’m sorry if you missed it. See ya next year. I’ll be the guy slicing beach ball in half with a katana.
            Love, Wavvy



Matt Cobos:
The 2018 UMS was an absolutely killer one. One of my personal favorites that I've been to, they proved once again that they are the best music festival in Denver. So many killer performances happened that when you talked to people around the fest, you would often hear "if you didn't see __________, you're an idiot.", and I felt the same way. Pretty much everything I saw was at least "really good."
The High Plains Comedy Stage was amazing and packed all weekend. My favorite comedy performances were from Drennon Davis, Ramon Rivas II, Tom Thakkar, Janae Burris, Kate Willett, Brandy Posey, and the awesome drop-in set from Comedy Works headliner and Aurora boy, Dan Soder. I'm very excited to see what UMS does with their new found commitment to comedy, and their partnership High Plains Comedy Festival in the future. Be sure to check out the High Plains Comedy Festival this month as not one, but TWO of your favorite record store jerks are performing on it this year! Myself and Patrick R. will be telling jokes on the August 23-25 fest. Tickets available at www.highplainscomedyfestival.com/

As for the music, holy crap was there a lot of great performances. My absolute standout favorite was It's Just Bugs at 3 Kings. This full band hip hop group absolutely blew the roof off of the place. Their energy was unmatched by anything else I saw at the festival. When they finished their performance all you heard around the audience was "HOLY %$#&!" as everyone reeled from what just happened. If you are a fan of Death Grips, or aggressive hip hop in general, do not miss this band. Holy crap.

Other bands that I thought had great performances: Green Druid, and Savage Blush killed it, and Jeff The Brotherhood, Night Beats, and Holy Wave were all great. There was a lot of stuff I knew and didn't know about that I missed, but that's how you know it's a good music festival. Don't miss it next year.

Now it's time to catch a breath, take a nap, re-hydrate and get ready for the other best party of the year every year, High Plains Comedy Festival. August in Denver rules. Hell yeah.



Harry:
            Grungy, chaotic, and incredibly fun, the UMS was an event I didn’t realize could exist in Denver. Between the well-staffed main stages and the crowded bar venues shows went off seemingly without a hitch. I was rarely thirsty (and never bored) as I bounced between acts both local and national. I enjoyed discovering new music, dancing to Digable Planets, and meeting new people. In the future, I’d love to see more musical diversity at the UMS; if this year is an indicator for future UMS's though, it seems like a great (re)starting point.

No comments: