Monday, April 8, 2019

I’d Love To Turn You On At The Movies #215 - All About My Mother (1999, dir. Pedro Almodovar)


When I first encountered Pedro Almodóvar’s work, I was instantly fed up with it. To my eyes, he had all the makings of someone trying too hard to brand themselves as an auteur without necessarily doing the work to earn the title: showy cinematography, meta-narratives, and obtuse storytelling devices. I noticed, too, that he had dropped his first name from the credits of his films; “A Film by Almodóvar,” the titles read, eliciting an immediate groan from me. He, like several other directors that I actively dislike, seemed more focused on inserting himself into his movies than actually giving them the life that they needed.
            And then, by the good graces of a college professor, I was forced to watch All About My Mother. I loved it. I love it. It immediately made me reconsider his filmography and what I didn’t like about it, somehow turning the issues I had with his other work into positive qualities here. All About My Mother is indeed showy and has a stubbornly meta-narrative; worst of all, it uses my most-hated cinematic device, voiceover narration. Every instinct in me tells me to hate All About My Mother. I can’t.
            All About My Mother follows Manuela, a single mother that loses her teenage son Esteban in the film’s early minutes. Following his death, Manuela moves to Barcelona in an attempt to reconnect with her son’s father Lola, a trans woman who never knew about Esteban. In the process, Manuela meets other trans and queer characters, many of whom have contracted AIDS, and All About My Mother suddenly shifts from being about encountering grief to working past it. Manuela becomes a mother figure to a few other characters, and we start to understand how Almodóvar envisions matronly characters: as saints. In particular, Manuela meets Rosa, a young nun that is pregnant with Lola’s next child; Manuela steps in to guide her through the process, and ultimately help with Rosa’s newly HIV positive lifestyle. In Almodóvar’s earlier work, one of my primary problems was how he treated his characters with manipulative cynicism; here, he extends a humane hand, using coincidence and luck as a guiding light that fosters genuine emotional connection among his characters.
            So much of my appreciation of this movie stems from how genuinely Almodóvar handles questions of gender, sexuality, and identity; released in 1999, All About My Mother tackles these themes and topics with a shocking grace, interrogating the complexities of parenthood, femininity, and trauma with ease. But there’s more to All About My Mother than just its thematic content; the film is bright and colorful, given a playful color palette to juxtapose the immediacy of its gloomy narrative content. The filmmaking is showy, but never in service of just the director; shots are beautifully framed to underline the film’s thematic questions of identity and lineage. Even the meta-narrative - which follows the very actress that Esteban ran into the street to follow before dying - is likewise used to implicate the viewer in compelling ways, ultimately dropping the curtains before the film’s closing credits roll.
            There’s much to admire about All About My Mother - I haven’t been able to hit at it all. I wouldn’t want to, even if I could. This is a straightforward movie, one that gets to the point without squandering its bluntness; it’s a celebration of motherhood, of femininity, and of women around the world, and it handles the film’s political context with deftness and ease, envisioning a more supportive world for individuals in queer and other disenfranchised communities. I’m thankful that I was forced to watch it in college - it made me reconsider Almodóvar’s work, which I now see as similarly humane and warm, rather than the cold and austere perception I had of it going into this film. All About My Mother, in other words, is deeply empathetic. It’ll make you want to give your loved ones a hug in the moments immediately after - and maybe you should.
-         Harry Todd

No comments: