Thursday, July 3, 2014

2014 UMS Band Interviews #1

For everything you need to know about the UMS Click Here

DJ Alf 

Sat, July 26th & Sun, July 27th 3:00 pm 

Side Stage at Goodwill

Where/ When are you playing for the UMS?

I'll be performing across from the main stage all day Saturday and Sunday. 

In twenty-five words or less, describe what somebody who has never heard of you/your band might expect from your performance at UMS this year.

Me playing instrumental records, periodically joined by local and national musicians adding something on top.

What was the first music you remember using your own money to buy?
I bought "Theme from Rocky (Gonna Fly Now)" by Bill Conti on 45.  I'm not entirely sure why, as I don't recall ever really liking that song. 

What has been your favorite album of 2014 so far?
Tough to say - I'm more of a singles guy than an albums guy.

Do you have any advice for new bands?
Keep your websites updated.

Have you planned out who you want to see at UMS this year? Who are some of your highlights?
I really only have Thursday and Friday to enjoy UMS, but you can bet I'll make the most of it.  I haven't made my list yet, so not sure who I'll be seeing.  Expect to see me running around a lot those two days, though.

If you've been to UMS before, what three words would you use to describe it?
Engrossing, exhausting, exhilarating.

What has been your most memorable experience at UMS to date?
Most of it dissolves into a really awesome blur.  I've discovered a bunch of new bands that I wouldn't have heard of otherwise over the years.  If I had to pick one single moment that sticks out, maybe Slow Magic playing at the Compound two years ago.

Any tips you'd like to give the novices for making the UMS experience even better?
This is how *I* do it.  I make a long list of bands I want to check out, organized chronologically with the venues they're playing at.  Then I just start going to check them out.  If I like a band a lot, I may stay for their whole set.  Or I might leave after two songs and check out something else.  I've sampled up to five bands in an hour - I like seeing a huge variety of bands.  And I go alone.  I run into a ton of people I know there, and sometimes we tag along together for awhile, but I like the freedom of moving between band to band.

Is there any place you're looking forward to eating during UMS?

I've ordered a margherita pizza from Walnut Room Pizzeria four times over the last three years.  I'll probably add to that total this year.

Is there anything we forgot to ask you about the UMS that you think people need to know?
Set your phone display to the lowest brightness possible, and it might just last until the end of the day.



Covenhoven 

Fri, July 25th 7:00 pm  

South Broadway Christian Church


Where/ When are you playing for the UMS?  
Not 100% confirmed but I believe it'll be S. Broadway Church on Friday evening

In twenty-five words or less, describe what somebody who has never heard of you/your band might expect from your performance at UMS this year.
I see live music for the heightened sense of emotion and the feeling of connecting with an artist.  I want to get goosebumps.  I hope this translates to what I do.  

What was the first music you remember using your own money to buy?
Probably something silly like Kriss Kross or Naughty by Nature.

What has been your favorite album of 2014 so far?
Beck - Morning Phase 

Do you have any advice for new bands?
Focus on the music and the rest will come.

Have you planned out who you want to see at UMS this year? Who are some of your highlights?
No, but from years past, I thought Gregory Alan Isakov's set was fantastic, Phox was great, Born in the Flood, Nathaniel Rateliff...

If you've been to UMS before, what three words would you use to describe it?
Community.  Celebration.  Fun. 

What has been your most memorable experience at UMS to date?
Hmmm... there have been many... but nothing specific.

Any tips you'd like to give the novices for making the UMS experience even better?
Do your research and pace yourself.

Is there any place you're looking forward to eating during UMS?
No, not really. 

What is your favorite shop on South Broadway? 
Music Gear Guys

Who is your all time favorite Colorado band?
I've got several.

You're working the counter at Twist & Shout, and a customer is interested in expanding his music collection.  What three albums would you recommend?
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home, Radiohead - Kid A, Jeff Buckley - Grace



Two Tone Wolf Pack

Sat, July 26, 2014 5:00 pm 

Skylark Lounge




Where/ When are you playing for the UMS?
     Haven't heard yet, but word is it'll be a hoot!

In twenty-five words or less, describe what somebody who has never heard of you/your band might expect from your performance at UMS this year.
     Dark rowdy americana based chain-gang good time sing-a-long

What was the first music you remember using your own money to buy?
      I'm pretty sure it was mxpx or five iron frenzy

What has been your favorite album of 2014 so far?
      Iska Dhaaf - even the sun will burn or Yellow Ostrich - Cosmos

Do you have any advice for new bands?
      Go get 'em 

Have you planned out who you want to see at ums this year? Who are some of your highlights?
     A Mouthful of Thunder, Joshua Dillard and the Streaks of Lightning, Inner Oceans, ... Too many to name really.

If you've been to ums before, what three words would you use to describe it?
     I've been at ums the last 5 years and it’s always a great time to see all the Denver acts you've been meaning to catch live.

What has been your most memorable experience at ums to date?
     Last year seeing Phox blew my mind.

Any tips you'd like to give the novices for making the ums experience even better?
      Plan to stay out late, there's just nothing like good music on Colorado summer nights.

Is there any place you're looking forward to eating during ums?
     Illegal Pete's patio is one of the best hangouts

What is your favorite shop on south broadway? 
      Ironwood

Who is your all time favorite colorado band?
     Wovenhand?

You're working the counter at twist & shout, and a customer is interested in expanding his music collection.  What three albums would you recommend?
     Too hard to say without knowing what they're already into, but I normally default to David Bazan, Mewithoutyou, Yellow Ostrich, or Iska Dhaaf

Is there anything we forgot to ask you about the ums that you think people need to know?
     The backyard shows during UMS in the surrounding areas are almost always as good as the actual festival.


 

No comments: