Thursday, July 10, 2014

2014 UMS Band Interviews #3

For everything you need to know about the UMS Click Here
Eros and the Eschaton 

Fri, July 25th 9:00 pm

The Hi-Dive





Where/ When are you playing for the UMS?
We play Friday, 7/25 @ 9:00 PM at the Hi-Dive.

In twenty-five words or less, describe what somebody who has never heard of you/your band might expect from your performance at UMS this year.
At our last show, someone told us we "sound like Carl Sagan."

What was the first music you remember using your own money to buy?
Kate - Pearl Jam and Neil Young's Mirror Ball/Merkin Ball collaboration.
Adam - En Vogue and Black Sabbath.

What has been your favorite album of 2014 so far?
Future Islands, Sylvan Esso, Tune-Yards, Lykke Li, Cold War Kids, Thee Oh Sees, The Casket Girls, Saintseneca, Cloud Nothings... this has been an incredible year for new music. It's really fucking exciting to be a musician right now!

Do you have any advice for new bands?
Having a reputation for giving a shit will not diminish from your rock and roll-ness.

Have you planned out who you want to see at UMS this year? Who are some of your highlights?
I just looked at the schedule, and I don't think we're going to sleep! Definitely going to catch UMO and Blonde Redhead on Sunday night.

Is there any place you're looking forward to eating during UMS?
We will almost undoubtedly end up bonding over very late night coffee at the Denver Diner.

What is your favorite shop on South Broadway?
Well, it's not really a shop, but definitely the Hi-Dive. It always feels like home, the scene is super engaging, and I feel like a little less of a weirdo there (maybe because it is also full of weirdos). It's like the NYC of Denver.

Who is your all time favorite Colorado band?
The Haunted Windchimes have been our dear pals for the better part of a decade. They introduced us to each other. Without them, we wouldn't be a band, traveling around and having such a good time playing music and recording together. They are a big part of why we are in Colorado.

You're working the counter at Twist & Shout, and a customer is interested in expanding her music collection. What three albums would you recommend?
Philosophy of the World by the Shaggs
Os Mutantes - S/T
Teen Dream by Beach House
I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One by Yo La Tengo
Loaded by VU


A Band In Pictures 

Sat, July 26th 8:00 pm

The Hi-Dive






Where/ When are you playing for the UMS?
We will be playing UMS at 8PM at the Hi Dive on Broadway and Ellsworth

In twenty-five words or less, describe what somebody who has never heard of you/your band might expect from your performance at UMS this year.
Diversity. The five of us are hoping to incorporate a few new sounds in our set, but still keeping a similar flow between songs to keep the set feeling complete.

What was the first music you remember using your own money to buy?
For me? It was probably Led Zeppelin 1 on vinyl I found at my local record shop. The idea of holding a physical piece of music from a long time ago always was an amazing feeling to me, especially if the record was actually from the time the music came out. I can’t say we have ever spent band money on music though…

What has been your favorite album of 2014 so far?
Favorite album of 2014 so far… That’s tough. After reading some of the releases that are set to come out via Pitchfork earlier today, I’m pretty excited for the rest of the year. Mac Demarco had a pretty good listen on my Spotify when he came out with Salad Days. The War on Drugs also spent a lot of time in my ears when they released Lost in the Dream, and Real Estate and Future Islands definitely worked their way in there as well. I speak for all of us when I say I’m still very excited to see Beck play some new material off of Morning Phase as well this August at Red Rocks.

Do you have any advice for new bands?
I guess an honest piece of advice I would tell a new band is just keep at it and don’t lose the momentum. The five of us living together was certainly tough at times, but it was by far the time where we got the most things done. If I could tell my past self any advice as a member of our band, it would mostly be keeping a positive relationship with my band-mates always. I’ll love all the guys forever, so might as well make the most of it.

Have you planned out who you want to see at UMS this year? Who are some of your highlights?
Oh man… I haven’t seen Real Estate in years, and they’re always the band for me that gets the job done when I don’t know what to listen to. I think I’m most excited to just walk around Broadway and check out as many artists as I can. That has always been my favorite aspect of UMS, and was definitely the right move when I was down in Austin for SXSW. (Also I missed Real Estate at SXSW, so I’d love to catch their new set!).

If you've been to UMS before, what three words would you use to describe it?
Collective, effervescent…. Inebriated.

What has been your most memorable experience at UMS to date?
Wow. I have an archive of great memories at UMS over the past few years. The first year was such a great experience; I always look forward to the next. I’ve met so many great people the past few years of UMS, it feels like a lot my close friends came from the few days spent on S. Broadway. Musically, Gauntlet Hair’s performance at the main stage was one of my favorite shows I’ve been to in Denver. All of the after parties are a great experience as well. Everyone is just so into the whole experience the days seem like they never end because everyone is in such a good mood.

Any tips you'd like to give the novices for making the UMS experience even better?
Don’t sit at home! Get off the couch and get your ass down to S. Broadway because it only happens once a year. It’s the closest thing to SXSW that Denver has to offer, and I promise you will have the greatest extended weekend by going out and being a part of it as much as you can. If you’re raging, buy a flask from a local liquor store! If you’re hungry, grab a bite at an awesome local restaurant! On top of all that, you get to hang around all of your favorite local musicians. Be super friendly and I promise you’ll end up meeting some pretty great people.

Is there any place you're looking forward to eating during UMS?
You’re talking to the right guy about food. The list never ends on S. Broadway. One day during UMS I ate pizza at The Walnut Room and instantly walked across the street to Go Fish for sushi. The food down there is so incredible, your belly will feel as good as your ears. I guarantee you’re gonna end up at Illegal Pete’s down south, I know all of us will be there.  

What is your favorite shop on South Broadway? 
Favorite shop on S. Broadway… Music Gear Guys will always help you out if you’re a musician during UMS, and all of the vintage clothing boutiques are always fun to go check out. During UMS the booze shops definitely come in handy.

Who is your all time favorite Colorado band?
My all time favorite Colorado band has always been Gauntlet Hair. Even though they’ve disbanded, I listen to their first album countless times throughout the week.

You're working the counter at Twist & Shout, and a customer is interested in expanding his music collection.  What three albums would you recommend?
That all depends who the customer is I suppose… I’d have to stick with my roots and throw some genres their way and let them pick their favorite albums off of that. Recently though, I’d suggest a little Foxygen. It was cool for me when I first heard those guys because it gave me a solid reminder that some people are still keeping that San Francisco-y flower power vibe going on. I love Innerspeaker by Tame Impala. Kevin Parker creating all those catchy riffs is beyond me, and I love the psychedelic feel that album has. Would also push an Animal Collective album someone’s way if they haven’t given them a good listen yet. The vocals on Sung Tongs are incredible and have definitely inspired me to create music.

Is there anything we forgot to ask you about the UMS that you think people need to know?
If you lie down in front of someone’s yard on your back, you’re a resting festival-goer. But if you lay down on your side in front of someone’s yard, you’re going full homeless. Never go full homeless…


Ancient Mith 

Sat, July 26th 1:00 am

Blue Ice



Where/ When are you playing for the UMS?
Fri night/Sat AM, July 26 1:00 am Blue Ice

In twenty-five words or less, describe what somebody who has never heard of you/your band might expect from your performance at UMS this year.
I hope it's beautiful, strange, hard to watch/hard not to, funny, loving, dangerous and a bit witty but if not I'll just scream and rant a lot.

What was the first music you remember using your own money to buy?
I'm not sure what the first one was exactly. My first collection had an oldies tape, Bon Jovi - New Jersey, Biz Markie - The Diabolical Biz Markie, Aersosmith - Toys In The Attic, Fat Boys - On and On, and few metal bands. I remember being like 8 years old and wanting to go to the record store with any money I got or earned.

What has been your favorite album of 2014 so far?
I haven’t paid much attention this year, sadly, but I really like the YG album and Freddie Gibbs as well.

Is there any place you're looking forward to eating during UMS?
Not during the UMS necessarily but on S. Broadway I like Sputnik.

Who is your all time favorite Colorado band?
I think Achille Lauro as far as what I listen to most, Shotgun Hodown is probably a close second.

You're working the counter at Twist & Shout, and a customer is interested in expanding his music collection. What three albums would you recommend?
Regina Spektor - 11:11, Any Sun Ra album, EL-P - Fantastic Damage.

Is there anything we forgot to ask you about the UMS that you think people need to know?
No, but I would like to thank Twist and Shout, Natasha, The UMS, Open Air 1340,and all the readers. Hope to see you all there. Love, Braden

No comments: