Friday, August 28, 2009

Living Artists, part the first

You know, this Michael Jackson thing got us to thinking. Why don’t we ever pay tribute to our heroes when they are alive? I mean, why do these great people have to die before we wax poetic about them? We asked some of our friends and employees to pay tribute to a living artist by answering some questions for our blog. Feel free to post your own tributes in the comments!

Mike Venutolo-Mantovani - Matador 

Artist: Archers of Loaf

1) How did you get turned on to this artist?
When I was 11 my cousin bought me a copy of Icky Mettle I'd never heard anything like it. And I still haven't.
2) What was the first record you got by this artist?
Um. Icky Mettle, bro. The first one I bought myself was Vee Vee. I was 13. Wayyyyy too young to be ingesting the Archers.
3) Have you seen the artist live? What was the best show?
I never saw them live. (un)fortunately I got into the band at a very young age and they never really reached a level of recognition where they were playing major venues and all-ages type shows. I tried to sneak in a few times in NYC but never made it. By the time I was old enough to get into the clubs they toured through, the band had broken up.
4) Have you ever met this artist?  What would you tell them if you were to have dinner with them?
I've met Eric Bachman (singer, guitar). I continually make a fucking idiot out of myself and am convinced he will never think I'm cool. Which is fine.
5) What makes this artist different than others?
How friggin good they are.
6) Why do you think this artist strikes a chord with you?
I don't know. Why does anyone like anything?? I guess the most accurate answer would be because it makes me smile every time I listen to them.


Scroobius Pip - musician
“If this doesn't make sense that would be because I have had several drinks and am in a part of Norway that doesnt get dark. It messes with your head..."- 
Pip
Artist: Prince

1) How did you get turned on to this artist?
To be honest I was real late. I had obviously always been aware of him but became more obsessed on a holiday to New York in a bar that played "Let Go Crazy" every night. It spawned a mild obsession. Then I watched a youtube of a James Brown gig where he got Michael Jackson up and then Prince, and Prince blew both of those legends off the stage.
2) What was the first record you got by this artist? 


Predictably... Purple Rain. Which, whilst it is predictable, is STILL genius. "Darling Nikki" is equal measures of absolute genius and absolute filth. its finding all the album tracks that turned it into an obsession. In "Ballad of Dorothy Parker" he manages to deliver the line "Then I took a bubble bath... with my pants on" and make it sexy.

3) Have you seen the artist live? What was the best show?
I dont like to talk about it. Prince did 21 shows in london and I had tickets to see him twice. Then things took off with Dan le Sac and I and we got our first headline tour that month. Obviously I had to miss the shows. Then, a year later, we played Coachella and Prince was headlining! "This is my chance!" I figured. Coachella happened to fall in the middle of ANOTHER tour so we literally ended up flying over, playing, then flying back the next day whilst Prince was playing. One day...one day.

4) Have you ever met this artist? What would you tell them if you
 were to have dinner with them?
We could never meet. It just wouldnt work. He is tiny and smooth. I am huge and hairy. It just wouldnt look right...
5) What makes this artist different than others?
The fact that he is Prince! Pretty much everything about him makes him unique. The fact that he writes, records and plays pretty much everything on his albums and has done right from the start. Theres just no one like him.
6) Why do you think this artist strikes a chord with you?
I really dont know. I guess it is the mystique in a way. He couldnt be further from the life I have grown up in. I live in a small town in england. Have done my whole life. And there is nothing at all "small town" or, really, "British" about Prince! I guess, aside from the music, the slickness, the sexuality... it's the exoticness of this weird little purple dude.

Cheers,
Scroobius Pip


David Weingarden -Director of Concerts/Talent Buyer, Swallow Hill Music Association
Artist:  Wilco

1) How did you get turned on to this artist?
I saw the HORDE tour in 1995 which came through Michigan… Morphine was on the small side stage. Great to see them, too.
2) What was the first record you got by this artist? 
I was a roadie for few years in the mid-90’s.  The band and crew would get advance copies of a lot of music. Being There came on to the bus and I remember sitting around listening to “Misunderstood” for the first time and thinking… wow! these guys are really on to something.  I’d say that I listened to that album more than anything else that year.  Beck's Odelay being a very close 2nd.
3) Have you seen the artist live? What was the best show?
I’ve seen Wilco about 20+ times… it’s hard to say what show was the best.  I saw them in 97 or 98 at the Fillmore in San Francisco.  Really young and fun… Loved watching Jay Bennett move from instrument to instrument.  This past Red Rocks show was great… though the show in Colorado Springs last year was terrific, probably because it had better sound. Saw Tweedy do 2 solo shows at the Fillmore in 2007 (I think) that were fantastic, too, which were featured on the Sunken Treasure DVD.
4) Have you ever met this artist?  What would you tell them if you were to have dinner with them?
Briefly… the band I was working for shared a bill with them in 96 or 97.  I haven’t a clue what I would ask them at dinner…
5) What makes this artist different than others?
They go against the grain, make their music and don’t compromise their creativity.  That, and all of them are just tremendous musicians. Tweedy is one of our generation’s greatest songwriters.
6) Why do you think this artist strikes a chord with you?
I love to be excited by music and they excite me.  I’m a sucker for a good song, experimentation, and a strong live show. I like to be kept on my toes.  Wilco… Wilco… Wilco loves you baby!


Natasha Alexander – T&S staff
Artist: ANNIE LENNOX!

1) How did you get turned on to this artist?
I was part of the MTV generation; remember when they played music videos and not beach party/ real world crap??? SO the Eurythmics were one of the coolest bands with all of those amazing videos like “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” and “Here Comes the Rain Again”.
2) What was the first record you got by this artist?
1984 (For the Love of Big Brother) by the Eurythmics was the very first album I bought on my own. It was the soundtrack to the film 1984. We called this music New Wave back then.
3) Have you seen the artist live?
Sadly, no…
4) Have you ever met this artist?
Nope…
4.5) What would you tell them if you were to have dinner with them?
I would love to thank Annie Lennox for being one of the most amazing women in rock EVER! Her ability to stay fresh and relevant have continued through decades and she made that tough almost androgynous quality sexy. But she never had to rely on her sex to be amazing (unlike Madonna). She was soulful, deep and still had a lot of humor.
5) What makes this artist different than others?
There is a strong emotional expression in all of her music which I think sets her far apart from the average Pop performer.
6) Why do you think this artist strikes a chord with you?
Perhaps I saw Annie Lennox as the type of woman I wanted to grow up to be. Strong, Independent and ever changing as an artist.

No comments: