Monday, June 29, 2020

New and Old Stereo Equipment

What good are records if you don’t have something to play them on? I started with a 1960’s portable player. Almost immediately I recognized I could do better. For my 12th birthday I got my first stereo with components-separate speakers, amplifier and turntable. Over the next 50 years I have continually climbed the mountain-seeking louder, clearer, more refined…better sound. I feel like I’m there now. If I’m not, I’m pretty good. Here is a sample of my lifetime’s work. A two-channel system including VPI turntable, McIntosh power amp, Levenson Pre-amp JBL speakers and sub, a 5.1 surround sound system, various speakers, a 1946 Seeburg 78 RPM jukebox, and a bunch of old-timey turntables. I don’t love music any more than I used to, but I sure can hear it better.

- Paul Epstein





No comments: