Friday, April 10, 2009

Saturday Reflections on Record Store Day

To celebrate Record Store Day, we've asked our staff - past and present - and a bunch of musicians, industry folks, and friends of the store to cough up some thoughts about what record stores mean to them. We'll post a few replies every day from now until Record Store Day. Check 'em out:


Alejandro Martinez (Twist & Shout manager):
DJ Awhat!!! says:
1) Where did you buy your first record? What was it?
Well the first record I bought was back in ‘91 at this little record store in Lakewood called Recycled Records, right by the infamous Casa Bonita (Holla!)
It was before I really started collecting vinyl and it was Das Efx Dead Serious album.

2 )What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
Well I feel that there is always records to be wanted and I want them all!!! Ha Ha Ha !!! I get'em when I get'em, peoples geez....

3) What is it about records, or record stores that are different from downloading?
OK well I feel that there is so much to this question that I can say. But, the most important things are the people in the record stores and those dusty fingers you get when walking out of the record store (insert the "Damn!! I just scored" look on DJ Awhat!'s face). Blaw....

4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?
The one product I am truly stoked to get my hands on is the Limited Numero LP Compilation that is getting released. Why you ask well, if you know DJ Awhat then you know he one of the funkiest and stankiest people on earth and he loves him sum good ol' funk. . . plus there is suppose to be some cool stickers and promo cd's in the set as well. From labels such as Numero, Jazzman, Now and Again and so on so on so on. . . .



Kirstin Osgood (former label rep for Koch Records):
1) Where did you buy your first record? What was it?
I purchased a Roxy Music 45 at a side walk sale when I was in 4th or 5th grade in Storm Lake, Iowa. I thought I was buying the theme music for Rocky at the time. I guess I didn't look closely enough at the label. I was too young to appreciate the unintended gem I had in my hands at the time.

2 )What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
I never cared about the resale value of a purchase or sought out a collector's item exactly. I did care about getting my hands on anything that had U2 stamped on it. I remember street date being announced for U2's Joshua Tree release. I recall someone at my local record store saying, "It hits the docks the morning of March 9 (1987)." I didn't know what the store clerk meant, but I pictured a large barge traveling from Ireland to Wisconsin somehow, with crates of U2's music. I couldn't wait to run in that day and make my purchase.

3) What is it about records, or record stores that are different from downloading?
Sound quality and the experience of shopping in an awe-inspiring environment. I recall the first time I walked into Twist's Pearl Street location and saw cats peacefully napping on the vinyl section--truly memorable. I like being influenced. Growing up, there was no cooler experience for me than strolling in to a local indie record store, hearing the tunes play that had been carefully selected by the cool kids behind the reg and staring up at over-sized Cure posters. The record store clerks' tastes I trusted; the radio djs' I did not. When picking a place to shop, I continue to seek out the smell of dusty vinyl and a few snotty store clerks. If those items aren't present, I'm in the wrong place.

4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?
I am excited by the discounts! With these tough times...hey, perhaps I'll get lucky and turn up that Roxy Music 45.



Tim Garvey (former Twist & Shout manager):
1) Where did you buy your first record? What was it?
The first record I remember buying was a 45 of Run-DMC's "You Be Illin'." My brother and I really liked the Run-DMC songs we were hearing on the radio, and decided that we would combine our weekly allowance ($2.00 each a week) and buy the album. However, when we got to the record store at the Ledgewood Mall (probably a Sam Goody or something like that) we realized that our $4 wasn't going to get us a whole lot, and certainly not a full-length, so we settled on the 45. We got it home, and listened to it over and over. However, we had to listen to the b-side ("Hit It Run") when our parents weren't around, because it dropped a "motherf***er" in one of the verses. When you hear that word for the first time on a record as a 10 year old, it's pretty exciting, and you do not get tired of hearing it over and over and over and over. And, thus began the long list of records hidden from our parents.

2 )What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
That's easy: The Drill EP by Radiohead. I do own it on LP, but have neither the CD nor the Cassingle version. And to be honest, the only reason I own the record is because of a drunken e-Bay experience, wherein I failed to realize that the price was listed in Pounds rather than Dollars. Turns out that booze and e-Bay aren't a perfect match after all. Now I realize that I should have just waited 7 years for them to re-issue it during Record Store Day 2009.

3) What is it about records, or record stores that are different from downloading?
Wow, I don't even know where to begin. How about I start with tangibility. There's just something about coming home from a record store and sitting down with everything you just bought. I love putting the record (or CD) on, and turning it up nice and loud as I sift through the liner notes and look at the artwork. It's something you can't do with digital downloads. To me, digital downloading means that it's disposable. When I download something (and I have done it only a few times and always legally) it's because it doesn't mean enough to me to actually go out to a store and buy it. But, when I buy something at a store - let's say Twist & Shout - it's something I'm genuinely excited about. I want to be able to touch it, and feel it, and live in it; absorb it and show it off. None of that is possible with downloading.

4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?Well, even though I already own all the Radiohead stuff, I'm still pretty excited to see those finally being re-issued. Without a doubt, some of their most brilliant songs were b-sides. It's great that more people will finally get to hear them. Having said that, I am personally disappointed because being the proud owner of the Drill EP will no longer make me special. Nonetheless, I still have a cautionary tale about drunken e-Baying that no one can take away from me.

No comments: