Thursday, April 16, 2009

Thursday Reflections on Record Store Day

Patrick Brown (Twist & Shout General Manager)


1) Where did you buy your first record? What was it?
I don't have that one specific memory of one specific piece because music was always around the house, and I can't guarantee the location, because I have memories bleeding together of things bought for me and things I bought myself. Early on there would've been something bought for me at the Peaches on Downing & Evans (now a Walgreen's, just like the lamented Rainbow Music Hall, which is now no longer even a Walgreen's). I cannot guarantee that I paid for it with my own allowance money, but I have a distinct memory of getting Chic's C'est Chic album as a new release and my sister and I both kinda shared the Grease soundtrack. I had a crappy cassette player/recorder that I used to record things off the radio with and for a long time I had a bunch of tapes of late 70's/early 80's pop - you know, Sister Sledge's first album (also Chic related!), Fleetwood Mac Live, Queen The Game, a bunch of stuff like that that I probably acquired via record clubs. The record stores near my neighborhood where I grew up and really started listening to music - Peaches (closest, I bought several things there), Kingbee, Underground Records (bought Olivia Newton-John's Totally Hot out of their cutout bin there for 1.98) and the one in Cinder Alley of Cinderella City - were all intimidatingly decorated with posters of artists I didn't know from Casey Kasem's American Top 40 of the late 70's and early 80's (especially Kingbee, where it was immediately clear that they knew way more than my 11-year old brain would ever know about music). But I could probably recite that week's top 20 for you in order on any given week. I finally got an actual component stereo in 1985 and I've never looked back in terms of following out whatever weird little paths of music have interested me. Among my first purchases were many of the popular items of that year, John Fogerty's Centerfield, and Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms, but also the new wavier choices of the 12" singles of "Do They Know It's Christmas" by Band Aid and "The Show/La-Di-Da-Di" by Doug E. Fresh (with MC Ricky D)(my first parental advisory record!) and the cassette of Frankie Goes to Hollywood's debut album. By the end of the year I was firmly ensconsed in the pattern of buying the 12" single for any artists I liked, many of whom I saw on Teletunes (formerly FM-TV) on KBDI Channel 12, and then picking up the full-length if they had more than two songs I liked. From there on it's a slippery slope to the current obscenely large collection I have.

2) What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
I'm not a big hunter/collector in that way. I buy music I want to hear and study and get into at any given point in my life - usually several currents of music at once - and it's always largely been shaped by what I can find used in any store. When people ask me what I listen to I always liken myself to a blue whale, sifting through tons of watery used music releases to filter out with my taste-baleen the nutritious musical plankton and krill that will sustain me. I'll go into a store with a big used section in any city in the world I'm in hoping to find just the right thing that jumps out at me that I wasn't expecting to find. Strangely, this often works even better in small cities than big ones, where there are fewer people seeking out the same obscurities I would like to run across. Jamestown and Syracuse NY were good, as were Pittsburgh PA and Frankfurt, Germany. There's a store in downtown San Antonio TX that I want to spend a few hours in, but didn't have the time last visit. The shark-like approach of hunting out specific prey just isn't my thing, you know?
That said, I once almost purchased a signed copy of the Residents' Mark of the Mole album (signed thusly: "Resident," "Resident," "A Resident," and "Resident") at a decent store in New York City (Venus Records on 8th, I believe) for 22 bucks and I still regret not just sacrificing a couple weeks of extras to get it - I was on the meal plan in college, after all. Still - I wouldn't have sought it out, I just stumbled upon it in the bins.
There are things that have gone missing from my collection that I'd love to replace though - the Wildflowers: the Loft Sessions 3-CD set that came out through Koch Jazz a few years back for example. I gave it to someone who I think really would've enjoyed it, so it's all good, but if you see one floating around, let me know. DNA's Live at CBGB's and Arto Lindsay/Peter Scherer's Pretty Ugly and Peter Laughner's Take the Guitar Player for a Ride also all went on loan and never came back home. And the collection Ocean of Sound, too - this would be my third copy. I might wanna hear them again someday.

3) What is it about records, or record stores that are different from downloading?
The physical goods. I'm not a big format snob, so LP and CD both give me a thrill, as long as there's something I can hold. I love flipping through the booklets and reading lyrics and credits, I love looking at the artwork, I love holding the thing, even if the listening and the music are really the most important part. As for stores, that's even more irreplaceable than the artwork - online, you just can't simulate an environment where someone knows your tastes and can tell you "You have to hear this!" when you walk in. There's no algorithm for "taste" even if you can program what customers who made the same purchase also purchased. But when I'm seeking out Al Green and Liliput and Iannis Xenakis and Lennie Tristano and Missy Elliott in the same day, what are they gonna find to fit that? (Answer - nothing!) And the feel of going through the used bin and stumbling on ThatOneItemYouNeverThoughtYou'dEverFind used - priceless!

4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?
Tons - let's just make a top 5:

Pavement - Live from Germany LP

Leonard Cohen - "The Future/Suzanne" 7"

Bob Dylan - "Dreaming From You/Down Along the Cove" 7"

Tom Waits - "Live From the Glitterdome" 7"

Sonic Youth & whoever split 7" singles (tie between the two)


The reason is the same in all cases - although I'm not a big collector per se, I'm a big consumer of music and usually want to hear everything someone's released if I'm interested.






Kevin Kowalcyzk (Former Twist & Shout Manager)
1) Where did you buy your first record? What was it?
Coconuts music in Chicago. Prince's Purple Rain.

2) What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
One that I'm particularly fond of it this Book/Record called THE PENTATEUCH OF THE COSMOGONY. It's a fantasy story that came out in 1979 about the creation of the world. Comes with 50 pages of unbelievable illustrations and two records from David Greenslade. Just amazing packaging.
Back in the day, I also thought my copy of Nine Inch Nails' Broken record that came with a bonus 7" (cover of Queen's Get Down Make Love) was the coolest thing ever.

3) What is it about records, or record stores that are different from downloading?
You need the artwork- the physical CD or record itself to truly appreciate the music. I love reading liner notes- seeing who played on the record, who produced it, etc. It's just not the same with an MP3 and a tiny picture that pops up on your iPod when you play it….

4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?
Wilco - Ashes of American Flags DVD - You can't go wrong with Wilco


Flaming Lips/Black Keys - split 7" "Borderline/Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles" If this is the Flaming Lips covering Madonna's Borderline, you know it will be a treat!

Metric - "Help I'm Alive" 7" picture disc One of the best songs out right now…



Ben DeSoto (Talent Buyer - hi-dive.com, former Twist & Shout employee)

1) Where did you buy your first record? What was it?
My brother and I bought Def Leppard's Pyromania and Michael Jackson's Thriller on vinyl at a record store in Chicago. Can't remember the name of the store but i remember being part of something cool when the guy working the counter nodded in approval of our purchases.

2) What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
There isn't any certain record I'm looking for. My favorite thing to do is scour Twist & Shout's record bins and find something I didn't even know I was looking for.

3) What is it about records, or record stores that are different from downloading?
It's the staff for me. I like talking to people about music and seeing what people at record stores are in to. I've discovered new bands, old records and met my wife in a record store. She introduced me to the Magnetic Fields and French Pop. Our record collection is still growing thanks to suggestions from helpful record store clerks.

4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?
The Thermals/Thao, Jenny Lewis/Elvis Costello split 7"s look cool. Who knows what is going to stand the test of time and be the next "must have" collectible?



Everything Absent or Distorted (Denver-based indie rock band – photo courtesy of Todd Roeth and gigbot.com)

1) Where did you buy your first record? What was it?

Hastings Books & Records, Amarillo, Texas, 1983. Two at the same time, Holmes: The 12 inch single for Eddy Grant’s “Electric Avenue” and Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger”; both of which I still have and pleasure myself to regularly. We’re not gonna walk down to Electric Avenue, we’re gonna rock down to Electric Avenue motherf*#ker.

2) What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
Sigue Sigue Sputnik’s Flaunt It; I did find the "Love Missile F1-11" twelve-inch single a year ago at Wax Trax (sorry Twist) but it skips. That being said, it only cost 1$. If I was cool I would say Television’s Marquee Moon or Gainsbourg’s Histoire de Melody Nelson or Captain Beefheart’s Trout Mask Replica. But I’m not. OK, I want those too.


3) What is it about record stores that are different from downloading?
All the uber-hot indie-rocker-chick-suicide-girls that work there! That’s about all, really.


4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?Everything Absent or Distorted’s heartbreaking work of staggering genius The Soft Civil War on glorious white vinyl of course, you sons of bitches! I was under the impression from Twist & Shout that “Record Store Day” was simply a celebration for that amazing album? Did I miss something? Why am I excited you ask? Because if we don’t sell some more we’re all going to have to wallpaper our entire houses with the left-overs.




Marissa Nadler (Recording artist for Kemado Records)
1) Where did you buy your first record? What was it?
My first two records that I was given, with a boom box, were Beatles Abbey Road, and Madonna The Immaculate Collection. Strange combination I think. My parents had a lot of records so we would listen to those. I was into Yes and King Crimson and Pink Floyd as a kid. I can't remember the actual first purchase I made but I can tell you its probably in the grunge family.

2) What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
I would love a really good copy of Joni Mitchell's Blue on vinyl. All my old CDs are scratched and I am currently trying to amass a vinyl collection.

3) What is it about record stores that are different from downloading?
Records (vinyl records) are beautiful objects. You can hang the cover on the wall. There is an emphasis on the art of design. Also, the quality of all types of physical releases sounds better than mp3s. Mp3s sound so compressed and tinny.

4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?Products? I am going to be living out of suitcase for the next three months so something good to listen to in the car.





Jason Pecoraro (Twist & Shout Manager)
1) Where did you buy your first record? What was it?
If I remember correctly the first records that I ever bought were actually two 7”. They were Cringer- Zen Flesh Zen Bone, and Crimpshrine- Quit Talkin’ Claude ep. I got them at East Side Records in Tempe, AZ. This was a real treat for me because there weren’t any places to buy vinyl on my side of town, and we had to bum a ride from my friend's older brother to drive us there, which took about 45 minutes back then.

2) What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
This to me is a more complicated question than it appears, partially because it evolves through time and of course changes once I find the record. For a long time I’d say it was New Model Army- Here Comes The War 12” single, other than it containing some of my favorite songs from N.M.A. this is because of the fold out poster included which shows the schematics of creating an atomic explosive device (because of this it became very rare and denied from most stores outside of the UK). Then it went to Cramps- Bad Music For Bad People, Then Sam The Sham & The Pharoahs. I do own these records now and will never be rid of them. Now the search is on for Fela Kuti- Shakara, you’ll be mine soon too!

3) What is it about records, or record stores that are different from downloading?
The major thing that I love about going to record stores and buying records would have to be the actual hunt for what I’m looking for. I don’t like downloading mostly because there isn’t anything tangible about the product, you can’t show off an awesome download on you wall, nor will you ever get cool poster inserts with them.

4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?
There are several items that I’m fully excited about, Tom Waits- Live from Glitterdome 7”, Jesus Lizard- pack of nine 7”, Slayer- Psychopathy Red 7”, Sonic Youth/Beck split 7”, Bad Religion- Original 7”, Stooges- 1969/Real Cool Time 7”…There are more too but the list would get unreasonable and these are the ones I most excited about because these are bands that I’ve been listening to and collecting for years.

No comments: