Monday, April 13, 2009

Sunday Reflections on Record Store Day

To celebrate Record Store Day, we've asked our staff - past and present - and a bunch of musicians, industry folks, and friends of the store to cough up some thoughts about what record stores mean to them.

Ian Douglas-Moore (Twist & Shout Staff):
1)Where did you buy your first record? What was it?
My first record was Dookie by Green Day. Being 11 years old at the time, my only source of income was allowance. I saved for about a month so I could buy a used CD copy from the old Pearl St. location of Twist & Shout.

2 )What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
I can't think of any one that stands above the others. There are a couple I've found or been given recently that I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of. A copy of the original recording of Philip Glass's Einstein on the Beach opera came through here a few months ago--I'd been looking for it for a couple years and it's pretty amazing. My girlfriend gave me Robert Wyatt's sublime Rock Bottom on LP for my birthday and I listened to it obsessively for months.

3) What is it about records, or record stores that are different from downloading?
MP3s don't sound as good, first of all. With a lot of rock and pop music it doesn't matter, but very detailed music can really suffer. I also enjoy having a physical representation of the music--something I can see on the shelf, with some nice picture or interesting writing that casts a different light on the music. MP3s just disappear into the depths of my hard drive.

4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?
We just got in a whole bunch of jazz records from the collection of the late Monk Montgomery--ya know, Wes's brother. There is some amazing stuff in there, both well-known and obscure, and it's all going on the floor on Record Store Day. Wow!


Peter Black (Twist & Shout Staff):

1) Where did you buy your first record? What was it?
I don't think where I bought my first record is as relevant as when I received my first record. My parents had a great & varied collection when I was a child. When I was old enough to put records on the player, their records more or less became my records. I have a 9 year old daughter and that same idea is practiced in our household. I don't purchase records for collection value, rather they're much more valuable for sharing and shaping moments in life. There's nothing that bothers me more then owning records that were never meant to be played.

2 )What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
I tend to lean toward obscure soul, jazz and experimental records. I refuse to pay more then $10.00 for anything used so that puts a big limit on what I purchase. I don't consider myself a record collector even though I have hundreds of pieces, it's just too fussy & egotistic for me. I've recently moved into classical records and the magic & aesthetic of releases on Deutsche Grammophone for $2.99 are easily parallel to $299.00 releases on Blue Note.

3) What is it about records, or record stores that are different from downloading?
The physicality of records is what the magic act is all about. It's a materialistic choice for me because I'm also a designer, so the audio component is incomplete without the visual accompaniment. I have to be able to touch it, feel it and read the liner notes, lyrics and more importantly the complete details of who produced the record. Without this information and the artwork it's a useless acquisition of 'stored data' in my opinion.

4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?
Yes indeed! I'm particularly excited about the This LP Crashes Hard Drives being released through Numero Group in collaboration with other awesome soul labels such as Now-Again, Jazzman & Daptone. The seven inch series from Light In The Attic featuring pieces from Sharon Jones & The Daptones & Serge Gainsbourg are particularly grabbing my attention. Cheers!


Jack Brown (Twist & Shout Staff):
1) Where did you buy your first record? What was it?
I'm pretty sure I bought it at Wax Trax circa '90-'91. I think it was a Nettwerk Records sampler, cause it was a cut out - or some sort of Ministry related record.

2 ) What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
Perennial Divide Purge Sweatbox Records '87. Actually around 9-10 years ago I found the original and the repress in the same place.

3) What is it about records, or record stores that are different from downloading?
You can't flip, read, or get your hands dirty by collecting MP3's. What's not to love about a record store, people? It's probably the most sociable place for anti-social people. You'll never never know what kind of things you'll get into!

4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?
There's a lot of things to be excited for. I guess I'd say the Jesus Lizard collection because they are a kick-ass band on record and live, and you know things are bad in the "industry" when a legendary label like Touch & Go has to downsize fer Christ’s sake. Live a little buy a record, get your hands dirty, go record shopping!


Katherine Peterson (KVCU Music Director):
1) Where did you buy your first record? What was it?
The first vinyl record I bought was from the infamous Jonny Trrrash at Bart's in Boulder. It is the 2-LP Remember When by The Shirelles. I got my first 7" this day as well. They had Bobby Darin's "Mack the Knife" in the free pile. I was a little late in the game with getting a turntable, but now that I have it I only buy vinyl! I hardly even listen to all the hundreds of gigabytes of music I've downloaded anymore.

2) What record have you wanted more than any other in your collecting career? Did you ever get it?
Hmmmm. There have been lots that I've gotten excited about, but I'd love to get a Death in June record. I haven't gotten one yet since they're all so rare and expensive. So I guess the matter hasn't been finding it, but rather justifying spending so much money on it. That will probably never happen. There's also a good number of old local records I'd like to get on LP like Spell's Seasons in the Sun and Corpses as Bedmates' Venus Handcuffs. I'm always looking for this stuff and so far my favorite finds in this category have been the Soul Merchants' Gates of Heaven LP, one of the Fuck You Punx 7"s and a Space Team Electra 12" single.

3) What is it about records, or record stores that are different from downloading?
Unless records get too hot or wet they'll be around forever! When I mostly listened to music that I had downloaded I was always worried that one day my hard drive would stop working and it would all be lost. I didn't really want to deal with buying a second hard drive and having to back everything up. You never know when that stuff will just disappear. I also had a tendency to download way more music than I would ever, ever listen to. But with all my records I've actually listened to each one of them and know exactly what I have in my collection. People tend to over saturate their collection with music downloads. It's much more of an experience listening to a record and holding the cover in your hand than it is to listen to music on your computer. Better sound too. Another thing that bothers me about having all your music in the form of downloads is that there's nothing to pass on from your collection. I have lots of records that belonged to my Dad and Grandpa and you can't do that with digital music.
And my favorite thing about record stores is that there's usually someone working there who knows tons about music and can turn you on to stuff you didn't know about. I really like hunting through the used section too since you never know what's going to be in there. I've gotten so many used records I love that I never would have thought to download, but they had interesting cover art or something so I checked them out.

4) Any of the products for Record Store Day that you are particularly excited about? Why?
Well, I'd like to get the 2xLP Love is Overtaking Me by Arthur Russell since I heard lots of good things about it but haven't gotten to listen yet. And there are tons of 7"s I would love to get by lots of my favorite bands - Camera Obscura - "French Navy", Sonic Youth/Jay Reatard – split 7", Light In the Attic 7" Series and Dr. Dog/Floating Action - split 7". I'm a sucker for buying exclusive/limited edition records.

No comments: