Monday, April 12, 2010

Monday Reflections on Record Store Day

To celebrate Record Store Day, we've asked our staff - past and present - and a bunch of musicians, industry folks, and friends of the store to cough up some thoughts about what record stores mean to them. We'll post a few replies every day from now until Record Store Day. Check 'em out:


Michael Venutolo-Mantovani
Very Good Looking Sales Dude
Beggars Group/Matador Records

•When was the last time you got that constricted blood-vessel feeling of "Oh my God I can't believe it's here. I've been looking for this record for..." In other words, is there a "Holy Grail" that you've been searching for in every music store and thrift store all across this great land of ours?
I put out a record years ago. I look for it every time I'm at a record store. Yea, it's narcissism in action. Fuck you.

•Is record shopping different, or do you get the same feeling at a bookstore or at Checker Auto Parts?
If you have to ask this question or need to look for an answer to this question, then you've probably never been record shopping.

•Do you ever buy for investment or is it all for the love of music?
I've never sold a record. I occasionally trade some dollar bin, impulse buys for some stuff I really need. And I've only got one record that's unopened. They're made to be played. Not to be stared at.

•Have you ever bought something and as you are handing the money over you are saying to yourself "why am I buying this?!" What items did you say that about? Conversely, what's the worst case of remorse you've ever had by letting something slip through your fingers?
I recently re-alphabetized my collection only to discover that I have more albums by Pat Benatar than any other artist. This answers both of those questions.

•How do you hear about new music these days?
Around.

•Do you have a favorite music blog? magazine? website?
Brooklyn Vegan is great. The commenters are insufferable but the blog itself is so objective and informative. I don't want to hear your fucking bullshit, third-rate blog opinions. I want to hear who's playing tonight.

•Do you listen to the radio? Satellite or old fashioned?
Not really because I haven't had a car in years and that's where I did most of my radio jamming. Of course, I'll always listen to WFMU (mostly online now) and whenever I go back to my hometown I dig on WPRB (Princeton, NJ) if the signal is strong enough at the Jersey Shore. Yea I'm from the Jersey Shore. So what? Wanna fight about it?

•Who would you love to see performing at Twist & Shout (or the local record store in your town)? Why?
Nirvana.

•Anything random to add?
Butts. And faces. Buttfaces.



Arturo Gómez
Music Director and lifelong music collector and connoisseur
Jazz89 KUVO/KVJZ

•Is record shopping different, or do you get the same feeling at a bookstore or at Checker Auto Parts?
For me there is a huge difference shopping for music because besides purchasing a product, music deals with my emotions, it can soothe my soul or cause my juices to flow. Either way it is a rush of endorphins, a feel good experience.

•Do you ever buy for investment or is it all for the love of music?
I have been buying music since my adolescent and teen years in the 1960s and although overwhelmingly it is for the love of music, I must admit that several times while diggin' in the crates I have come across a record that is known to be collectable at a good price so I copped it with the hopes of selling it for a profit.

•Anything random to add?
Back in the mid-1980s when CDs began to enter the market, I didn’t fall for its hype and trade in, sell or get rid of my records collection. I continued to buy LPs and began to acquire CDs to add to my music library as a new format, similar to what others did when cassettes were released. I am not surprised that there is a so-called “resurgence” of LP manufacturing and sales as the warm sounds of a record in good condition played on a good system is superior to the tinny sound of a CD, records have a more earthy sound plus there’s no comparison of the artwork and liners of a LP cover to that of a CD. All it would take is a solar flare to wipe out all the data of all the discs in the world leaving them useless as already has occurred with the first generation of CDs, meanwhile I have 78rpm records nearly a 100 years old that sill play well as do my LPs and 45rpms, they playback through friction which will endure forever.


Julio Enriquez
www.CAUSEEQUALSTIME.com

•When was the last time you got that constricted blood-vessel feeling of "Oh my God I can't believe it's here. I've been looking for this record for..." In other words, is there a "Holy Grail" that you've been searching for in every music store and thrift store all across this great land of ours?
I found a Bryan Ferry record the other day that made my day. I've been looking for any Roxy Music on vinyl for the longest time. That, and completing my Rolling Stones collection on vinyl.

•Is record shopping different, or do you get the same feeling at a bookstore or at Checker Auto Parts?
Record shopping is more of a thrill. Nothing compares to opening up that new piece of music and putting on your turntable or cd player.

•Do you ever buy for investment or is it all for the love of music?
All for the love of music.

•Do you have a favorite music blog? magazine? website?
Favorite blog: Gorilla vs Bear Magazine: Fader Website: Perez Hilton

•Do you listen to the radio? Satellite or old fashioned?
Old fashioned-I listen to sports radio a lot, and NPR.

•Who would you love to see performing at Twist & Shout (or the local record store in your town)? Why?
PAVEMENT, because they're dreamy.

•Anything random to add?
More instore performances!

No comments: