Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wednesday Reflections on Record Store Day

To celebrate Record Store Day, we've asked our staff - past and present - and a bunch of musicians, industry folks, and friends of the store to cough up some thoughts about what record stores mean to them. We'll post a few replies every day from now until Record Store Day. Check 'em out:

From Artist, DJ, Producer, all round amazing talent: Howie B

•When was the last time you got that constricted blood-vessel feeling of "Oh my God I can't believe it's here. I've been looking for this record for..." In other words, is there a "Holy Grail" that you've been searching for in every music store and thrift store all across this great land of ours?
I found a copy of Creedance Clearwater Revival covers done by a Bluegrass band the other week in a small record shop in Paris. Magic


•Is record shopping different, or do you get the same feeling at a bookstore or at Checker Auto Parts?
It is a unique experience that is unequalled my only comparison is buying a musical instrument

•Do you ever buy for investment or is it all for the love of music?
I will never sell my records !

•Have you ever bought something and as you are handing the money over you are saying to yourself "why am I buying this?!" What items did you say that about? Conversely, what's the worst case of remorse you've ever had by letting something slip through your fingers?
No

•How do you hear about new music these days?
I still am on word of mouth from mates, and shops and my kids now too

•Do you listen to the radio? Satellite or old fashioned?
I love listening to the radio, it is still for me the best medium to propagate music

•Who would you love to see performing at Twist & Shout (or the local record store in your town)? Why?
I would love to see a band called Lupen Crook they are a three piece from Maidstone they rock

•Anything random to add?
Thats it!

No comments: