Monday, July 22, 2019

I'd Love to Turn You On #236 - Gerry Mulligan – Night Lights (1963)


            Growing up, I didn’t get to listen to a lot of jazz. It typically wasn’t played around my house by either of my parents and I certainly didn’t get exposed to it from any of my peers. I do recall later on a time when my mother developed an affinity for smooth jazz or “elevator jazz,” as I called it back then. Artists like Spyro Gyra (or, if she wasn’t in the mood for the rowdiness of Spyro Gyra, The Rippingtons), were a go-to. I fucking hated it. I still fucking hate it. It’s boring and soulless and reminds me of intercom music from the days of being dragged to musty grey department stores and schlepped around in a cart while my mom bought box fans and fondue pots and continually told me “no” when I would ask to get one single He-Man figure. But anyway, I digress.
That was my idea of jazz when I was growing up, is my point. And I wanted no part of it. So you can imagine my delight when I got older and discovered real jazz on my own and how wonderful and inspiring and truly creative the world of jazz could be. I started to check out all the greats: Bird, Diz, Miles… everyone. To this day, there are certain artists and certain records that I know I should enjoy, but I struggle with. Gerry Mulligan was one of these artists for many years. I’m a die-hard fan now, but it took a minute. The first one that I ever listened to was his 1963 record Night Lights and I instantly hated it. Obviously this has a happy ending because I’m writing about it, but when I first heard it I thought it sounded too much like the smooth jazz that made me resent my mom’s tastes years prior. But there’s more to this little gem than that and upon multiple listens I fell in love with its beauty and sheer sensuality.
Most jazz fans are no doubt familiar with the work of Gerry Mulligan and, in particular, his piano-less material with Chet Baker from the mid-to-late ‘50s cool jazz era. It was during this period where the baritone saxophonist cut his teeth with some of the most talented ensembles of the time. As an arranger, Mulligan worked with many jazz giants of the ‘50s, such as Stan Kenton and Miles Davis. Because of these associations, or perhaps in spite of them, Mulligan developed a bit of a reputation as perfectionist and often demanded center stage attention from his audiences. On Night Lights, however, Mulligan opts to take an unexpected back seat to his sextet of stellar players, including valve trombonist and longtime collaborator Bob Brookmeyer, Art Farmer on flugelhorn, Bill Crow on bass, Dave Bailey on drums and the inimitable Jim Hall on guitar. The result is one of the most breathtaking records of the 1960s.
For starters, Mulligan isn’t as present on Night Lights as he has been in previous sessions. Kicking things off is the title track, the first of three original compositions to appear on the album. Uniquely, old “Jeru” doesn’t even play his signature instrument on it, opting instead to lead the piece with a shimmering piano line that sounds as if it’s being played in a smoke-filled after-hours club. Other highlights include a rendition of Chopin’s “Prelude in E-Minor” with a distinct Latin flavor and an enchanting version of the standard “In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning.” Night Lights is a decidedly ballad-heavy album and plays at a very slow pace, which is not necessarily to its detriment. Although there are no real upbeat numbers to speak of here and it is markedly lacking any improvisation (something Mulligan excels at normally), it more than makes up for it in musical prowess and romanticism. Mulligan and company definitely capture a mood here and that mood is unmistakably “night life.”
At just over 30 minutes (not including the bonus CD track which is a fantastic alternate take of the song “Night Lights” recorded in 1965), this record is a short but sweet bachelor pad classic. Perfect for cocktails or for date night.
-         Jonathan Eagle

No comments: